Wednesday, May 24, 2006

It's a drag when you go to see a film and suspect that the person you're with isn't enjoying it. Hey ho. Just saw "The Squid and the Whale", which shows a middle-class family breaking up. It's set in the eighties, and the older of the two sons is an awkward git about the same age as me, so there's a superficial resemblance at least. The parents, the father in particular, are archetypal baby-boomers- self-absorbed, over-intellectual. What he passes off as honest "rapping" is just self-indulgent twaddle. That's where it diverges from my experience. I never wanted for anything, emotionally or materially. Didn't stop me doing me doing the whole rebel bit, which I often still feel like I haven't grown out of. Suppose that events just come along and slap you out of those sorts of mindsets.

No comments: