Thursday, March 22, 2007

Went to see the new David Lynch film, Inland Empire, last night. It was probably the most outright surreal film I've seen by him, or anyone, though it's hard to top "Un Chien Andalou". "Un Chien" also has the advantage of only being about 40 minutes long. "Empire" is 3 hours, something I normally have a problem with anyway. Ever since fucking "Titanic" it seems film can't be less than two hours.

I'm not so thick as to expect a David Lynch film to be reducable to something as obvious as even a Freudian analysis (though I did dream about Laura Dern last night- mmmmmmmmmmmm). I like the wild association of images, and the way that their interpretation is totally up to you. The images and ideas are rich and varied enough for endless amounts of that. Just to scratch the surface- maybe it was all a nightmare in the hooker's mind as she watched the rabbit sitcom on TV ? (Yes, you just read that- and the film is 100 times wierder).

But, frankly, after 3 hours of sitting anywhere, my arse is turning to stone, my spine is starting to compress and my circulation is down to a trickle. Maybe the endurance test is part of what makes "Empire" so mind-bending. But I would have thought images and speech would be enough.

2 comments:

naneh said...

i am glad that you have the courage to admit that after 3 hours, your spine curls up....and basically you feel uncomfortable and want to go home. i feel that alot during such films, but rarely do i have the courage to admit it. i normally just clench my teeth, try to readjust my poor spine and pretend i am having fun. kind of sad, really

Tom Conway said...

Coming from a tall family with a history of serious back problems, I have no problem admitting it ! It still hurts. I'm just basically counting down to that inevitable day when something goes "pop" and I'm stuck where I'm standing.