Saturday, January 27, 2007

I discovered a while ago that the bus ride from CAmbridge to Victoria, although about 40 minutes longer than the train, is quite an interesting bus tour of London. It approaches via the East End, goes past the Tower, then through Aldgate and WEstminster, then down Embankment to Victoria. It's also much cheaper.

So I jumped on the 8.30 bus this morning, and got off in front of the Tate Britain. I've been there 2 or 3 times before, but the stuff doesn't exactly date, does it ? There were also the stands and banners of Brian Haws' antiwar protest, recently banned from Parliament Square. Among the photos of blinded Afghan and Iraqi babies were the names of the MPs who voted in favour of the war. Depressing to see Dennis Skinner was one of them. It might have seemed from one thing I wrote last year that I supported the invasion. I didn't- I wrote letters to the press, had massive arguments about it and based lessons on material from CND, the New Internationalist and a biog of Gertrude Bell. I would have gone on the anti-invasion demo if it hadn't clashed with my brother's 40th birthday in Scotland. I was just bemused by Blair- that rapidly turned to disgust.

There was also a special exhibit in the Tate of three watercolours that Turner painted in Switzerland. Absolutely amazing- actually better than his oils that are ten times the size. Then off to browse the guitar shops of Denmark Street. Well, a visit to London just wouldn't be complete without it.

2 comments:

naneh said...

how much cheaper is much cheaper? and can you avoid those annoying higher fares for travelling in the london area before 9:30? i have actually never taken the bus, i always get the train since it drops at kings X, but then victoria isnt THAT far...

Tom Conway said...

Return from CAmbridge to Victoria is £10.50. The journey is probably about an hour and a half each way, and of course subject to traffic. I haven't taken the train for donkeys- it wouldn't surprise me if it was over £20 now for a Travelcard. When leaving yesterday I got a single Tube ticket from Tottenham Ct Rd to Victoria and it was £4 ************ ! There's me thinking a one-off journey would be cheap. Can't remember how much a pass just for the Tube is. Don't know about before 9.30.