Thursday, March 16, 2006

I recently discovered a couple of old pencil-sketches during the year I lived in Grevena, in northern Greece, of the singer and bouzouki player from a local folk band I used to go and see quite often. Thought that, ten years on, it was high time I finished them. Brings back good memeories, though I must admit through the haze of collosal amounts of booze. They're below, since I couldn't figure out how to upload themn with text.

Had a bit of a funny turn last Friday at an open mic night. A guy (English) was singing "Caledonia" by Dougie MacLean, and a Scottish acquaintance behind me started singing along and asked me if it reminded me of "the Old Country". I'm afraid I snapped at him that it meant fuck all to me. Honestly, it doesn't. There are plenty of things I miss about about Scotland, but things like that just can't get past the underlayer of English in me (Brummie and Yorkshire parents). I'm afraid if you put my soul under a microscope, the greater part will consist of tea, toast and constant apologising for no reason. Not hugely fond of that either, but we do what we can.

No comments: